Monday, April 4, 2016

Winston Flowers

"Winston Flowers"  11x14 oil



When my friend received these flowers, she pleaded, "You have to paint them!" I was a little resistant because I knew I would have to get it done that morning or they would be dead before I saw her (and them) again. But the petite bouquet was so perfect, and the packaging made such a statement, that I decided it would be worth giving it a try to see if I could do it justice. When studying the tiny little vase of flowers, all I could think was "Good things do come in small packages". It was such a perfect little arrangement! The flowers composed the painting by simply setting them in front of the gorgeous package they arrived in. Although the bag was very dark, I continued my efforts to make the light entice the viewer  and add movement. The tiny little fern like patterns in the greens and the meandering ribbon and cellophane added a nice rhythm to the piece.
Update 4/12/16-I just received news that this painting was awarded first place at the Foxboro show at the Gallery at Patriot Place. I am honored and happy I accepted the challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment