Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Contemplating Cape Cod

Our evening walk- 12x16 oil
Each summer we vacation on Cape Cod with family. My granddaughter provides me with unending inspiration as she discovers and contemplates the wonders of the ocean. During this particular evening walk, she went and stood in the water gazing out at the diminishing light and gently rolling waves. The scene was so serene and peaceful, I wanted to capture the feeling to share with viewers.
Dusk creates a much subtler light effect than strong sunlight. My goal was to give her that effect with soft transitions of color and value when moving from warm to cool as I modeled the figure and her clothing. Attention to detail in the figure is juxtaposed to a looser feeling in the water as it flows and swirls around her. I wanted the water to be "quiet" so it's movement would reflect the soft sounds of the lapping waves and the peaceful mood I wished to create.

No comments:

Post a Comment