Friday, February 15, 2013

Off to a good start-the world of the Still Life

     I decided working on still life paintings would be a good way to explore composition and color harmonies, as well as technique in beginning, modifying and completing a painting in a limited amount of time. I think working this way helps with plein aire painting quite a bit. I am able to speed up my painting which is so necessary when working outdoors. I have been going to Dianne Panarelli Miller for classes and  have learned so much from her. She is an amazing teacher. Having taught art myself for 36 years, I am pretty picky about teachers. She is a fabulous Boston School artist who really knows her stuff and how to impart that knowledge to her students. There are lots of good painters, but really exceptional teachers are so hard to find.
 Here is my first still life attempt. I use it as a baseline for where I began. I think my silver pitcher works well. The reflections were really fun to paint and since water is one of my favorite subjects, it was a natural. I received an Honorable Mention  ribbon on this painting in the annual Norwood Art Association show, Art in The Park in 2011. That helped spur me on to do more. Feedback motivates me- good or bad. Viewing art as communicating means it either works or it doesn't. If it isn't working then more needs to be done. If it is-leave it alone and move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment