Friday, March 25, 2022

Magical moments in Rockport.


When Frozen was my grand daughter's favorite movie, she insisted on wearing either her Elsa or Anna outfit no matter where  we went. So when hiking around Rockport and Halibut Point one day, she dressed like a princess. When she walked out to the end of the path, she became captivated by the ocean and the beautiful view. I loved the composition, the juxtaposition of the blues, and the wonder she experienced  as a young impressionable girl. I hope she continues to love nature and remain in awe of it as she grows.

I blocked in the underpainting using transparent oxide red. Once values were established, I began blocking in large masses. I used the rocks to lead the viewer to the focal point. The warmth of the rocks complimented the sun illuminating the figure. I reserved the most detail for the focal point-the dress and figure, a little looser in the vegetation and rocks and let the water and sky remain fairly loose as the backdrop to the scene. 
I love to  preserve special moments in a painting as I feel it conveys much more of a feeling of time and place than a photo can.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment