Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Bird Park, Walpole-a favorite place to paint

Welcome to Bird park-16X20 oil-
selected for Zullo Gallery Juried Exhibition

Up, up and away 16 x 20 oil

Splash of sun 6X12 oil

Winter's Glory 8x16 oil

Theater in the Park 8x10  oil  

Walk down Memory Lane 11x14 oil

Stroll in the Park 12x16 oil

Memorial Gate-16x20 oil-
These paintings are inspired by one of my favorite places-Bird Park in Walpole, MA. Many happy memories remain of the park from my visits with my grandparents back in the 1950's. Today the park remains much the same with the exception of the former swimming pond which is now taken over by geese and weeds. Concrete benches are being slowly replaced by modern ones, but the spirit of the park remains the same. Painting en plein air is perfect here. There is a feeling that permeates the park that is inviting, yet provides a kind of solitude. Gates and bridges are unique, people dot the landscape -often with their dogs,  wildlife abounds and the rolling hills and open fields are dotted with trees and structures thoughtfully integrated into the landscape. Every bridge in the park is different in design and one of my goals is to eventually paint all of them.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Ellen
    I really like your "Walk Down Memory Lane" painting - is it on display/for sale anywhere?
    Thank you!
    ~Krista Sullivan
    kristajsullivan@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of these Bird Park paintings. I am there often and got married at the music court! Can prints be purchased? I'd love to put some among my wedding portraits. I haven't seen them all yet but have you painted what I call "the Sweetheart tree" that has decades of initials carved in it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi -Yes I did make prints of some of these-the first, "Welcome to Bird Park", and last, "Memorial Gate", and also the bench "Walk Down Memory Lane". I haven't done the tree yet, but it is on my radar for when the weather gets better. My plan is to eventually do all the bridges too. If you are nearby, you can see them at The Norwood Fine Artists Gallery at Winsmith in Norwood. If you are at the park and I am there painting, stop and say hi!

    ReplyDelete