Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Beautiful Vermont!

Another beautiful Vermont scene 18x24
Our friends live in Morrisville, Vermont. When we visit I am constantly finding scenes that make my heart skip a beat. This one is right down the street from their house. Each season it takes on a completely different feeling as the colors and moods change. There are several angles that offer great composition possibilities. I chose this one because I liked the vibrant foreground contrasting with the softness of the distant mountains. I  also was drawn to the light on the barn creating a a rhythmic connection between the two.
I began by blocking in the large masses with multiple thin layers in the dark areas. As more layers were applied to add definition to the scene, I was conscious of subtle color variations to define areas while keeping details at a minimum. I intentionally kept edges of the mountains soft, and foreground flowers as clusters of color and shadow to bring the viewer back to pause at the barn, but then to keep the viewer's eye continuing to move throughout the painting. The foreground tree also helps the viewer to focus on the barn.
Painting in a high key keeps the painting warm and cheerful, reminiscent of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment