Wednesday, March 13, 2019

A surfer's dream

What a ride! 24X36 oil

12x16 oil

12x16 oil
In January 2019, the waves at Ocean Beach near San Francisco reached 40 to 50 feet. My daughter's boyfriend, who is a life long surfer, headed down with some buddies to take advantage of the amazing surf. I asked her to send me some photos so I could do a series of surfer paintings. I was not disappointed. These are my first 3. For color and water patterns I referenced the photos loosely punching up the color and simplifying the spindrift somewhat. I did need the photos for the position of the surfers in the various phases of their rides. The spray and size contrast make for a dramatic image. I look forward to doing more in this series and am grateful to my west coast photo accomplice. The 2 smaller ones went in my suitcase to CA so they could each have one.

No comments:

Post a Comment