Saturday, July 6, 2024

An unusual commission

Usually when people commission me to do a painting, they have a specific idea of what they want. When my former brother in law requested I paint 3 paintings for each of his grown children for a Christmas present, he told me to decide what to paint. He gave me a budget and a time frame. It was freeing, but at the same time daunting. I had only kept in touch through facebook since my divorce almost 50 years earlier.  I had spent a lot of time with them when they were little at Cape Cod. This seemed like the obvious choice for me as it connected us with memories at their grandparents summer home in Brewster.


When I was trying to decide what to paint, I wanted to have two paintings that were  completely different but definitely and completely connected, because that is how I always think of the twins. 

My thoughts of times shared at the Brewster house seemed the perfect choice. The place is so beautiful (like the two of them) and offered great memories as well as many choices for subject matter.

So here are my paintings  of the Brewster beach. This was one of those rare times that low tide coincides with sunset and the flats reflect the light in all it's glory. 

It is a cosmic experience-same night, same beach, two different views. My daughter suggested they could trade the paintings back and forth or even take turns hanging them together.  I hope that they bring joy for years to come.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment