Saturday, July 6, 2024

"Cheers-How do you like your Bookers?"




It was a commission conundrum.

 My former brother-in-law's request to paint a Christmas present for his son left me free to choose the subject matter. I was baffled as to what to pick. I hadn't seen him since he was 2 years old. What I knew, I learned from my daughter and Facebook. I knew he had bartended and worked in the liquor industry. 

         When thinking about what to paint for him, I flashed back to my daughter's  3rd birthday: there he was scooping the frosting off her cake before we even lit the candles. She was a little perplexed and the rest of us were cracking up laughing. 

I figured he loved a party then and from what I could tell that hadn’t changed-so “Cheers-how do you like your Bookers?” is my painting for him. 

      I was figuring out my set up to paint with one of our go to favorites-Bookers**, when my son suggested I use the  Mad Men glasses. I agreed they were more fun than the cut glass I had originally put there, so the idea was a bit of a collaboration. The orange is in case you'd like  a Manhattan, but also to create a bit of color harmony.

      I hope he enjoys his painting.


No comments:

Post a Comment