Saturday, July 6, 2024

My Hollyhock obsession


 This 12x36 canvas seemed to call out to me to paint more hollyhocks. It was during Covid and most of my painting was plein air in my yard or working from photos. These gorgeous flowers growing right by the back door were a no brainer. Because the yard sloped down in back, the hollyhocks stood out against the clear blue sky. Having only a few feet between my subject and my canvas gives an intimate view into the flowers themselves.  I liked the immediacy of the experience, the multiple views of the flowers themselves as they rotated around the stalks and the various stages of development from buds to full blooms. The pink and red flowers allowed for mixing a range of values with a very limited palette. I intentionally let the lower section begin to dissolve into an abstarct area to keep the viewer in the scene. This painting won first place at the Patriot Place  Gallery show. I  am keeping this one  for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment