Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Big and "Little" or 'do it again".



Pleine air version 9x12 of Robert Frost's farmhouse-



Large Version of Robert Frost's farmhouse-
One of my very first mentors, James Wilson Rayen, passed away yesterday. He was my art professor at Wellesley College back in the 60's. He had a really huge influence on me. He was kind, extraordinarily talented, patient and an inspirational young man. He stayed that way up until his death-(except perhaps the young part). I was thinking a lot about him and how he taught me so much and all about patience. We would draw things in the studio over and over and over again. Initially they looked pretty good; but the more we drew, the more we realized how much room there was for improvement. When I first met him we drew circles for a week. Yup-circles. Every day in every way imaginable. We got better and better and soon realized it could never be "mastered". Now when I go out and do a small painting, I often like to return with that and photos and do a larger version in my studio. Sometimes I like them better, sometimes not, but I always think about what I learned from James Rayen-keep on painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment