Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Antique cars-it's a family thing!

"Wavecrest Woodie"
16x20 oil

"Ken's World" 18x24 oil


My brother restores antique cars. Since the early 1960's, wherever he is, there has always been a car in the process of being reassembled or proudly displayed. Woodies were always our family car during my childhood and my brother has two beautifully restored ones at the moment. The green one in the painting received the coveted "Dearborn Award". He loves his cars and I love to paint them. They are particularly challenging since any mistakes in drawing are very obvious to a car connaiseur. They do lend a certain charm to a scene with their warm wood tones and shiny glass and metal components. Once put into a setting that I like, I think of it like painting a still life;-size and color relationships, light and then relating to the background. "Ken's World"is on it's way to be displayed at the Northern Virginia Car Club show.

No comments:

Post a Comment