Friday, March 22, 2013

Frog's Fantasy

"A Frog's Fantasy" 11x14

"A Frog's Fantasy 2"  24x30    
When painting the first Frog's fantasy, I was really excited about the complexity of the layers in the water. The natural layers of things that were visible below the surface and the color changes associated with the depth changes were exciting; but adding the sky and weed reflections took it to another whole level. I enjoyed playing with the pinks and violets and creating a fanciful landscape that I think any frog would have been psyched to encounter. It was such a pleasure to paint, I decided I really must do it big. I don't know which one I enjoyed painting more, but the big brushes and the many layers I built up in creating the 2nd one put me in the zone so much that I didn't realize someone stood watching me a half hour before I even became aware they were there.   Since I "retired' my goal is to paint what I want and to get better. I don't want to be motivated by whether or not something will sell. I really want to focus on my own expression. I loved creating this piece! I was happy someone else loved it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment