Sunday, December 9, 2018

Inspiration abounds at Bird Park


 Bird Park in Walpole has been providing me with continuous inspiration for many years. As a child, I would go to swim in the "frog pond". Never have I seen the pond lined with forget-me- knots like I saw this spring. The area around the pond was a carpet of blue. I called two of my painting companions and encouraged them to meet me at the park to paint. We spent the morning painting plein air. The sunlight was filtering through the trees and the area was alive with geese, turtles, dog walkers and families. I completed this small 9x12 in one session. I like the spontaneous feel of the blue carpet lining the tiny stream meanders from the pond  leading the viewer to the bridge.

 I have painted 5 of the 9 bridges now, but there is one I keep returning to. The bridge that brings you into the park by the weeping willow is my favorite. I can't count how many times I have painted it, but there is always a change. I heard the willow was being removed and knew it would change the scene drastically. I had to get in one last painting before it was gone. I used a transparent red oxide underpainting to establish my values and to create a soft glow for the scene. I completed it just in time, as the willow is gone now. Next time will be a different angle or a favorite new bridge. I'm going to miss this tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment