Sunday, December 9, 2018

Surf's Up!

Roar of the Surf 30x40 Oil

     Visiting my daughter in CA always leads to a new painting. Her home at Seacliff in Aptos gives me constant access to the beautiful beach and surf. She works and I paint. When I get back to MA,  I use my photos and sketches to paint big. In this painting I wanted to portray a sense of the power of the waves as they crashed onto the shore. The surf, with it's multiple layers of waves and criss crossing currents, are fascinating to watch and they command a respect for the force they unleash. The sunlight provides a sculptural effect to the ephemeral forms as they roar in and transform into spindrift and then wash out again.  I used a limited palette with a cloudless sky so that the viewer would focus on the surf and the myriad subtleties of colors within the blues. I hope it evokes a sense of sound as one imagines the senses at this place and time.

No comments:

Post a Comment