Friday, April 29, 2016

Bluebirds of Happiness

Happiness 6x6





These bluebirds were part of a much larger photo reference which included other birds, a birdhouse, fence and greenery. I used two birds from the photo to compose a simple little painting with a blue/orange harmony. The pair brings memories from years ago when my Mom and I used to watch the bluebirds in the apple trees where we played tennis. I get bluebirds at the bird feeder here in winter if the winter is harsh. In the good weather they are fairly elusive since we cut down our apple trees. I love their color and the fact that they are associated with happiness. The world needs happy reminders sometimes. As an artist, I need direct and simple at times. I simplified the surroundings and their perch focusing only on the birds and their relationship to one another.  I did this in one quick session.

No comments:

Post a Comment