Friday, April 29, 2016

Pink Hydrangeas

The Pink Hydrangea 11x14

Pink Hydrangea with teapot 12x16
These pink hydrangeas stayed looking great for so long that I ended up painting them twice. Such is the advantage of a potted plant over cut flowers.The first painting I did with a simple pitcher  and focused on the plant and the lighting. I am a big fan of red and love the warmth and harmony of the set up. The second time I painted the hydrangea with more items concentrating  on the overall movement and color harmonies while still keeping the lighting a major element. The fluted and undulating surface of the teapot  added a challenge that the more simplified pitcher did not. The grapes withered half way through and had to be completed mostly from memory. I like the simplicity of the first, but enjoyed the challenge of the second.

No comments:

Post a Comment